Readin' it Up on my Sony Reader PRS-T2

I like holding a book. I like the smell of books and the feel of the paper. I like turning the pages and once I’m done, either shelving them or loaning them to friends or family.

I’ve fought hard against eReaders because I never wanted to give up the feeling of holding a book. But now, that has all changed.

Like many other things in my literary life, I blame 50 Shades of Grey. I read it on my iPad before it came out in paperback and it opened up a whole new world to me. The world of “no one can see what you are reading.” Which is how I read all three 50 Shades in 4 days over Easter Weekend.

I’ve been using my iPad for reading more and more, but things about it were not perfect. I couldn’t take it to the pool and lay in the sun and read, it was heavy to tote around in my bag and I was always worried about dropping it or losing it. So when Sony sent me their new Reader PRS-T2, I was excited to try it out.

There are a few things I really like about it – like being able to read at the beach or in direct sunlight (thanks to the E-Ink® Pearl V220 touch screen), being able to toss the under 6 ounce reader in my bag, the AMAZING battery life, and being able to purchase books easily over the WiFi connection.

While at first I grumbled at the smaller {than my iPad} screen, I now like that people can’t look over my shoulder to see what I’m reading… as you know of my current addiction to the romance, supernatural and smut genres. And while it may not be fancy like a Kindle Fire – I really like not having to fight with my kids over who gets to use it.

Another cool feature is the ability to post a short passage from books purchased from Reader™ Store to Facebook directly from the device along with the book cover, author and title. That is, if you want people to know what you're reading... lalala!

But now let’s talk about that; What h been reading. I seem to have become the defacto go-to to find out the latest in good, easy to read chic lit books.

The Good:

Shadows of Night – by Deborah Harkness

This was the sequel to Discovery of Witches (#2 in the All Souls Trilogy)– one of my favorite reads of last year. While I did have to go back and read Discovery of Witches before reading this one, it was a good, easy read. It was the obvious middle-child of the trilogy, with lots of lines left hanging. But I can’t wait for book 3!

A Light Between Oceans – by ML Stedman

Amazing book about love, family and children and a lighthouse 100 miles off the coast of Australia. Its beautifully written and you can feel the characters plight and emotions jump from the (e)pages.

Night Circus – by Erin Morganstern

You MUST read this book. The scenes created in your imagination through the brilliant details of this book are insane. The words beautifully blend together to tell the story of a magical circus and the people that create it and love it. This is one of those books that as you read you can’t help but envision what the movie version will look like – and I’m hoping for Tim Burton/Danny Elfman collaboration on this one.

This is Where I Leave You – Danny Tropper

Heart felt story of a family forced to sit shiva together after their father dies. The pain of the main character is almost too much to bare at points, but its also a wonderful reminder that you may not know the people in your life like you thought.

The Romance

Love Unscripted and Love Unrehearsed -  by: Tina Reber

These books delve into what happens when a movie star falls head over heels in love with a small town girl he meets while on location. While every girl at one point has dreamed of George Clooney or Ryan Gosling just walking into you life and making you love him, what would it really be like? Could you watch him pretend to make love onset to the new hot starlet? Could you stand the media attention all of sudden coming your way? Do you just leave your life and business and go on location with him?

I was lucky enough that I finished Love Unscripted the DAY that Love Unrehearsed came out, because I may not have been able to wait. I really enjoyed the fantasy and the reality of the love story between Taryn and Ryan.

Gabriel’s Inferno / Gabriel’s Rapture – by Sylvain Reynard 

Another series climbing to the top of the best sellers list on the 50 Shades bandwagon, although this was more “troubled romance” to me than erotica. Once again its about falling in a deep love with someone that you can’t date and the repercussions of doing so. Lots of historical and art references, so I guess it makes it a thinking {wo}mans 50 Shades?

The SMUT

Bared to You – by Sylvia Day

This book has been number 4 on the bestsellers list right behind Christian and Anastasia for weeks now. While when I read it month ago after first reading FSOG, I thought it was almost an exact knock-off, my second read of the book leaves me thinking it’s actually better than 50.

While yes, Gideon is a mega billionaire with a tortured past and he meets Eve when she falls down in front of him, there are plenty of reasons to like this book better. First – the writing is much better. Second – there is no uncomfortable S&M scenes to winch through.

Book two in the Crossfire series comes out in a few weeks, and I’m just hoping we wont find out Gideon’s issues stem from being seduced by his mother’s best friend. But all in all, a good, sexy read. 

**ETA:

I have now finished Reflected in You,  the second book in the Crossfire Series. My feelings are a bit muddled about this one. Even with its resemblences to FSOG, Bared to You is the better of the two books. If you read Bared, then you (obviously) have to read Reflected. You won't hate it, but you may not love it. It's just so much of "Really? Why would you do/say that when you KNOW he/she is going to be pissed??" that it almost gets boring. Between the sex and fighting, I found myself wanting them to end their relationship. I mean, how much can two people take 3 weeks into a relationship? 

But, it kept my attention and was an easy read. I hope book 3 doesn't take as long to come out, but I'm wondering if they are on a 1 a year schedule now?

Have you read any/all of these books? What's on your current MUST READ list?

*Disclosure: I received the Sony Reader PRS-T2 as part of my participation in the #SonyMoms program. For more information and specifics on the new Sony Reader PRS-t2, please visit the SONY website. Opinions are my own!